Israeli forces detain man and his son during police raid on Bedouin village of al-Araqib

al araqib

NEGEV (Ma’an) — The Israeli police Thursday detained a Palestinian and his son from the Bedouin village of al-Araqib in the Negev region of southern Israel during a police raid, according to a local activist.Salim al-Araqib told Ma’an that Sheikh Sayyah al-Turi and his son Aziz were detained from the village during a police raid on the community, as bulldozers leveled lands and police forces reportedly assaulted residents.It was the fifth consecutive day police forces have carried out a raid on the village, according to al-Araqib.Numerous children were reported to have fainted after Israeli police assaulted the children and women in the community, al-Araqib said. A few have been taken to the hospital.An Israeli police spokesperson was not immediately available for comment on the incident.The village of al-Araqib has been demolished 100 times by Israeli forces, as the village was designated as an “unrecognized” village by Israeli authorities, alongside 34 other Bedouin villages scattered across the Negev desert.According to the Association for Civil Rights in Israel (ACRI), more than half of the approximately 160,000 Negev Bedouins reside in unrecognized villages.Israel is allowed to refuse residents of unrecognized villages from access to the national water and electricity grids, health and educational services, and basic infrastructure.Though Bedouins are considered citizens of Israel, the government has done nothing to ensure equal rights for residents of these villages, who have faced relentless efforts by the Israeli authorities to expel them from their lands in order to make room for Jewish Israeli homes.As a result, most of al-Araqib’s residents have left over the years to neighboring towns.

(Source / 21.07.2016)

Tags: #ICC4Israel

Video of the Week New Clashes Erupt Between Israeli Security Forces, Muslim Worshippers

Temple Mount temporarily closed to Jewish visitors after clashes with police

The Temple Mount was temporarily closed to Jewish visitors on Wednesday at the order of Jerusalem District Commander Yoram Halevy after Jews broke visitation rules at the holy site, police said. The Jewish visitors were expelled from the compound for bringing sacred books to the Mount and trying to pray there. After one of the individuals was cautioned, another took out a holy book, and the group was expelled. Meanwhile, renewed clashes erupted between protesters and Israeli security forces near the Lion's Gate in the Old City, where police used stun grenades against the demonstrators. A regular dynamic has developed involving clashes between Palestinians and Israel Police over the past several days near the Lion's Gate. Dozens of Palestinians are present at the site on a regular basis, urging devotion to the Al-Aqsa Mosque on the Temple Mount and condemning Israel. During Muslim prayer times, particularly the midday and nighttime prayers, hundreds and sometimes even thousands have been gathering there.

There have been outbreaks of violence during these periods, including stone-throwing or physical confrontations with the police. In most of these incidents, the police have been using stun grenades and sponge-tipped bullets to disperse the crowds. In a number of cases, journalists in the area have also suffered violence at the hands of the police. On Tuesday, Hassan Shaalan, a reporter for the Ynet news website, was struck by a policeman even after he identified himself as a member of the press. A group of Jerusalem-based journalists released a statement of condemnation over the incident and called on the police to permit reporters to do their jobs. The Jerusalem Police responded: "This involved an incident that took place in the course of violent disturbances of the peace that occurred in Jerusalem while the police were acting to remove the demonstrators from the street after some of them refused to vacate. The forces working on the scene are under constant threat to their lives.

Boycott Israeli diamond