Palestinian woman detained at Hebron checkpoint for allegedly carrying knife

checkpoint hebron

HEBRON (Ma’an) — Israeli forces detained a Palestinian woman at a checkpoint in the southern occupied West Bank city of Hebron on Thursday morning for allegedly carrying a knife, Israeli police reported.Israeli police spokeswoman Luba al-Samri said in a statement that Israeli border police stopped and searched a Palestinian woman in her twenties at a checkpoint near the Ibrahimi Mosque, and found a knife in her possession. The woman, a Hebron resident, was taken in for questioning, the statement added.Israeli news outlet Ynet wrote that the woman allegedly attempted to sneak into the area near Hebron’s Ibrahimi Mosque with a group of tourists.A young Palestinian woman, identified as 27-year-old Sarah Tarayra, was killed on Friday by Israeli forces after allegedly attempting to stab an Israeli border police office at the Ibrahimi Mosque area checkpoint.That same day, Israeli forces detained a 15-year-old Palestinian girl at the same checkpoint for allegedly having a knife in her possession, according to Israeli border police.The Hebron area has been underIsraeli military closure since Friday amid a massive manhunt for the suspect responsible for a shooting attackwhich left an Israeli man dead, his wife critically injured, and two of his children lightly to moderately injured while driving in their car near the illegal Otniel settlement south of Hebron.The recent closure on the district of Hebron is said to be the greatest closure placed inside the occupied West Bank since 2014, when three Israeli teenagers were kidnapped and then killed.In less than two days last week, three Palestinians have been killed after allegedly carrying out attacks which killed two Israelis, and a fourth died during clashes, marking an uptick in violence after a few months of relative reprieve from a wave of violence and unrest which has swept across the occupied Palestinian territory and Israel since October, leaving more than 220 Palestinians and some 32 Israelis killed.The Hebron area in particular grew as the epicenter of upheaval, with Israeli authorities severely restricting the movement of Palestinians by declaring the area of Tel Rumeida and other parts of the Old City as a “closed military zone” for several months in November amid dozens of incidents in which more than 40 Palestinians were killed.Israel’s response to attacks — such as punitive home demolitions, the sealing of entire villages, mass detention campaigns, and withholding the bodies of Palestinians slain while committing attacks — has been condemned by rights groups, who have said the measures amount to “collective punishment” and represent a clear violation of international law.

(Source / 07.07.2016)

Tags: #ICC4Israel

Video of the Week New Clashes Erupt Between Israeli Security Forces, Muslim Worshippers

Temple Mount temporarily closed to Jewish visitors after clashes with police

The Temple Mount was temporarily closed to Jewish visitors on Wednesday at the order of Jerusalem District Commander Yoram Halevy after Jews broke visitation rules at the holy site, police said. The Jewish visitors were expelled from the compound for bringing sacred books to the Mount and trying to pray there. After one of the individuals was cautioned, another took out a holy book, and the group was expelled. Meanwhile, renewed clashes erupted between protesters and Israeli security forces near the Lion's Gate in the Old City, where police used stun grenades against the demonstrators. A regular dynamic has developed involving clashes between Palestinians and Israel Police over the past several days near the Lion's Gate. Dozens of Palestinians are present at the site on a regular basis, urging devotion to the Al-Aqsa Mosque on the Temple Mount and condemning Israel. During Muslim prayer times, particularly the midday and nighttime prayers, hundreds and sometimes even thousands have been gathering there.

There have been outbreaks of violence during these periods, including stone-throwing or physical confrontations with the police. In most of these incidents, the police have been using stun grenades and sponge-tipped bullets to disperse the crowds. In a number of cases, journalists in the area have also suffered violence at the hands of the police. On Tuesday, Hassan Shaalan, a reporter for the Ynet news website, was struck by a policeman even after he identified himself as a member of the press. A group of Jerusalem-based journalists released a statement of condemnation over the incident and called on the police to permit reporters to do their jobs. The Jerusalem Police responded: "This involved an incident that took place in the course of violent disturbances of the peace that occurred in Jerusalem while the police were acting to remove the demonstrators from the street after some of them refused to vacate. The forces working on the scene are under constant threat to their lives.

Boycott Israeli diamond