Israel leaves Palestinians thirsty

As summer enters its height

AL-KHLIL, (PIC)– Throughout the summer months, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians in the West Bank suffer a severe shortage of water and it is getting worse year after year, as the result of Israeli policy of unfair allocation of water resources in the West Bank. The Palestinian Water Authority (PWA) stated that Palestine suffers from the unfair distribution of water sources, which remain under almost full Israeli control, in total violation of the international law. According to the Palestinian Central Bureau of Statistics (PCBS), 51 million cubic meters were allocated for Palestinian farmers in 2011 while 1,042 million cubic meters were allocated for the Israelis during the same reported period. The 1993 Oslo Peace Accord stated that the Palestinians should yearly have 118 million cubic meters; however, they are currently using 87 million cubic meters of water. Israel exploits approximately 80% of the renewal water resources, while the Palestinians the remaining 20%. Director of the PWA Essam Arman charged that the water shortage crisis in West Bank is a political crisis par excellence as Israel has taken advantage of its control of the West Bank in order to appropriate more water sources and to prevent Palestinians from developing new water sources that are under the land. The southern villages of al-Khalil are the most affected areas by water crisis, he pointed out. Local residents have been complaining and protesting for more than two months against Israeli control over the water sources. The residents stated that they were forced along the past four weeks to purchase high-priced water especially during the holy month of Ramadan. According to the Israeli leftist organisation B’tselem, the discrimination in utilization of the resources shared by Israel and the Palestinian Authority is clearly reflected in the figures on water consumption by each population.  Daily per capita water consumption in the West Bank for domestic, urban, and industrial use is some 73 liters, while per capita water consumption in Israeli towns is 242 liters and in local councils, 211 liters.  In other words, per capita use in Israel is three and a half times higher than in the West Bank, B’tselem underlined. Under international law, Israel is committed to supplying drinking water to the Palestinians and not denying them.

(Source / 14.06.2016)

Tags: #ICC4Israel

Video of the Week New Clashes Erupt Between Israeli Security Forces, Muslim Worshippers

Temple Mount temporarily closed to Jewish visitors after clashes with police




The Temple Mount was temporarily closed to Jewish visitors on Wednesday at the order of Jerusalem District Commander Yoram Halevy after Jews broke visitation rules at the holy site, police said. The Jewish visitors were expelled from the compound for bringing sacred books to the Mount and trying to pray there. After one of the individuals was cautioned, another took out a holy book, and the group was expelled. Meanwhile, renewed clashes erupted between protesters and Israeli security forces near the Lion's Gate in the Old City, where police used stun grenades against the demonstrators. A regular dynamic has developed involving clashes between Palestinians and Israel Police over the past several days near the Lion's Gate. Dozens of Palestinians are present at the site on a regular basis, urging devotion to the Al-Aqsa Mosque on the Temple Mount and condemning Israel. During Muslim prayer times, particularly the midday and nighttime prayers, hundreds and sometimes even thousands have been gathering there.

There have been outbreaks of violence during these periods, including stone-throwing or physical confrontations with the police. In most of these incidents, the police have been using stun grenades and sponge-tipped bullets to disperse the crowds. In a number of cases, journalists in the area have also suffered violence at the hands of the police. On Tuesday, Hassan Shaalan, a reporter for the Ynet news website, was struck by a policeman even after he identified himself as a member of the press. A group of Jerusalem-based journalists released a statement of condemnation over the incident and called on the police to permit reporters to do their jobs. The Jerusalem Police responded: "This involved an incident that took place in the course of violent disturbances of the peace that occurred in Jerusalem while the police were acting to remove the demonstrators from the street after some of them refused to vacate. The forces working on the scene are under constant threat to their lives. http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/1.802141

Boycott Israeli diamond