Israeli court sentences Palestinian for incitement on Facebook

BETHLEHEM, (POC)– Israeli military court of Ofer sentenced Qusai Issa, 22, from Bethlehem to one year of actual imprisonment in addition to a fine estimated at 2000 shekels ($550) after charging with incitement on Facebook.  Palestinian Prisoner Society revealed, in a statement on Wednesday, that the sentences that were issued over the charge of incitement on Facebook ranged between 8 and 12 months. Israeli prosecution, however, demands a two-year sentence for other Palestinians on similar charges.  Statistical reports by institutions concerned with Palestinian prisoners’ issues demonstrate that Israeli authorities arrested 157 Palestinians from October, 2015 until late April, 2016 based on charges of posting on social networking sites. Some of them were indicted with incitement, while others were held under administrative detention.

(Source / 02.06.2016)

Pin It

Tags: #ICC4Israel

Video of the Week New Clashes Erupt Between Israeli Security Forces, Muslim Worshippers

Temple Mount temporarily closed to Jewish visitors after clashes with police

The Temple Mount was temporarily closed to Jewish visitors on Wednesday at the order of Jerusalem District Commander Yoram Halevy after Jews broke visitation rules at the holy site, police said. The Jewish visitors were expelled from the compound for bringing sacred books to the Mount and trying to pray there. After one of the individuals was cautioned, another took out a holy book, and the group was expelled. Meanwhile, renewed clashes erupted between protesters and Israeli security forces near the Lion's Gate in the Old City, where police used stun grenades against the demonstrators. A regular dynamic has developed involving clashes between Palestinians and Israel Police over the past several days near the Lion's Gate. Dozens of Palestinians are present at the site on a regular basis, urging devotion to the Al-Aqsa Mosque on the Temple Mount and condemning Israel. During Muslim prayer times, particularly the midday and nighttime prayers, hundreds and sometimes even thousands have been gathering there.

There have been outbreaks of violence during these periods, including stone-throwing or physical confrontations with the police. In most of these incidents, the police have been using stun grenades and sponge-tipped bullets to disperse the crowds. In a number of cases, journalists in the area have also suffered violence at the hands of the police. On Tuesday, Hassan Shaalan, a reporter for the Ynet news website, was struck by a policeman even after he identified himself as a member of the press. A group of Jerusalem-based journalists released a statement of condemnation over the incident and called on the police to permit reporters to do their jobs. The Jerusalem Police responded: "This involved an incident that took place in the course of violent disturbances of the peace that occurred in Jerusalem while the police were acting to remove the demonstrators from the street after some of them refused to vacate. The forces working on the scene are under constant threat to their lives.

Boycott Israeli diamond