PA security persists in its violations against journalists



The Palestinian Authority (PA) security apparatuses last Monday arrested a Palestinian journalist, summoned another for interrogation, and extended the detention and trial of two others.

According to Omamah news website, the PA intelligence agency in al-Khalil detained Mohamed Abu Juhaisha, a journalist working for al-Huriya media network, before releasing him later during the same day.

For its part, the PA preventive security apparatus in al-Khalil extended the detention of journalist Nidal al-Natsha for another 48 hours.

According to informed sources, Natsha is accused of criticizing the PA and its president Mahmoud Abbas.

In Qalqiliya, the preventive security ordered journalist Qais Abu Samra, who works as a reporter for Anadolu agency, to go to its headquarters in the city for interrogation on Tuesday.

However, Abu Samra said he would not comply with the summons.

In Nablus, the PA magistrate court on Monday postponed the trial of journalist Tareq Abu Zaid, from al-Aqsa satellite channel, until next December. He is accused of making derogatory remarks against the PA.

In a related context, the preventive security arrested Qutaiba Azem, an activist in prisoners’ affairs from Sebastia town in Nablus, after raiding his workplace.

The same security apparatus had tried last Thursday to arrest Azem, who was an ex-detainee in Israeli and West Bank jails.

The PA security apparatuses in Tulkarem and al-Khalil also summoned on the same day Musab Abd Rabo and Hisham al-Sharbati, both ex-detainees in Israeli jails.

In Jenin, a PA court extended the detention of Sheikh Hani Abu Sara, who has been held by the preventive security for over 25 days.

The lawyer of Sheikh Abu Sara told his family that the prisoner would go on hunger strike in the coming days if he was not released.

(Source / 19.10.2016)

Tags: #ICC4Israel

Video of the Week New Clashes Erupt Between Israeli Security Forces, Muslim Worshippers

Temple Mount temporarily closed to Jewish visitors after clashes with police

The Temple Mount was temporarily closed to Jewish visitors on Wednesday at the order of Jerusalem District Commander Yoram Halevy after Jews broke visitation rules at the holy site, police said. The Jewish visitors were expelled from the compound for bringing sacred books to the Mount and trying to pray there. After one of the individuals was cautioned, another took out a holy book, and the group was expelled. Meanwhile, renewed clashes erupted between protesters and Israeli security forces near the Lion's Gate in the Old City, where police used stun grenades against the demonstrators. A regular dynamic has developed involving clashes between Palestinians and Israel Police over the past several days near the Lion's Gate. Dozens of Palestinians are present at the site on a regular basis, urging devotion to the Al-Aqsa Mosque on the Temple Mount and condemning Israel. During Muslim prayer times, particularly the midday and nighttime prayers, hundreds and sometimes even thousands have been gathering there.

There have been outbreaks of violence during these periods, including stone-throwing or physical confrontations with the police. In most of these incidents, the police have been using stun grenades and sponge-tipped bullets to disperse the crowds. In a number of cases, journalists in the area have also suffered violence at the hands of the police. On Tuesday, Hassan Shaalan, a reporter for the Ynet news website, was struck by a policeman even after he identified himself as a member of the press. A group of Jerusalem-based journalists released a statement of condemnation over the incident and called on the police to permit reporters to do their jobs. The Jerusalem Police responded: "This involved an incident that took place in the course of violent disturbances of the peace that occurred in Jerusalem while the police were acting to remove the demonstrators from the street after some of them refused to vacate. The forces working on the scene are under constant threat to their lives.

Boycott Israeli diamond