Israeli forces demolish Nablus home of shooting attack ‘mastermind

nablus huisvernietiging

NABLUS (Ma’an) — Israeli forces raided the city of Nablus in the northern occupied West Bank early Tuesday morning and demolished the home of Amjad Aliwi, who Israeli intelligence accused of being one of the masterminds of a shooting attack on Oct. 1, 2015, which left two Israeli settlers dead.

Local sources told Ma’an that dozens of Israeli soldiers stormed a three story building in the Khallat al-Eiman neighborhood in southern Nablus, where Aliwi’s family lived.
Aliwi was one of six men accused in the deadly drive-by shooting, and was sentenced by an Israeli court to two life sentences with an additional 30 years in prison in June.
Aliwi was sentenced for his involvement in a Hamas military unit allegedly responsible for the incident, when a married Israeli couple was shot and killed near the illegal Israeli settlement of Itamar near Nablus.
Their four children, aged between four months and nine years, were found unharmed in the back of the car.
The Israeli Supreme Court approved the decision to demolish Aliwi’s family home last month, despite the fact that the family had previously filed three appeals against the decision, as they stood to be left homeless by the demolition.

According to witnesses of Tuesday’s demolition, soldiers forcibly moved the family members from their apartment to one of the neighbors’ apartments, and detained them there for several hours, during which time they demolished Aliwi’s apartment.

Witnesses added that Israeli forces demolished the home manually, since an explosion would have also devastated other apartments in the building. Israeli forces often use explosive devices  in many punitive home demolitions.
At the time of the demolition, clashes broke out in the neighborhood between Israeli forces and local youth.
Locals said the clashes continued for several hours and that ten young men were injured with rubber-coated steel bullets, while several others suffered from tear gas inhalation.
Locals added that one of the injured young men was evacuated to Rafidiya Hospital in Nablus.
An Israeli army spokesperson said they were looking into reports regarding the demolition and clashes.
The attack Aliwi was accused of resulted in widespread rioting by Israeli settlers and numerous attacks on Palestinian communities and their properties.
A massive manhunt for the gunmen — during which the freedom of movement for Nablus residents was severely restricted and scores of Palestinians were detained as well as shot and injured in overnight raids — culminated in five initial suspects, not including Aliwi, being detained by Israel’s internal security agency the Shin Bet, identified as Raeb Ahmed Aliwi, Yahya al-Hajj Hamad, Samir Qoussa, Karam al-Masri, and Zeid Amir.
The Shin Bet said that the five Palestinians had “admitted” to the crime, as well to two other shootings that had not resulted in casualties.
The home of Salah Aliwi, Amjad’s brother, was also raided and ransacked during the raids in 2015, when Israeli forces ordered his family to tell Aliwi to turn himself in.
Israeli forces have also since destroyed the home Zeid Amir’s family.
Since a wave of violence spread across the occupied Palestinian terriotory last year, marked by a number of alleged, attempted, and actual small-scale attacks committed by Palestinians on Israeli targets, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu fast-tracked punitive home demolitions in an effort to “deter” attacks carried out by Palestinian individuals.
The move came despite past recommendations by an Israeli military committee that the practice did not deter attacks.
While families who receive demolition orders are given the opportunity to appeal the measures, Israel’s High Court of Justice typically rejects such appeals, according to Israeli watchdog Hamoked.
Israeli rights group B’Tselem has meanwhile condemned the practice as “court-sanctioned revenge” carried out on family members who have not committed crimes, amounting to collective punishment and illegal under international law.
(Source / 11.10.2016)

Tags: #ICC4Israel

Video of the Week New Clashes Erupt Between Israeli Security Forces, Muslim Worshippers

Temple Mount temporarily closed to Jewish visitors after clashes with police

The Temple Mount was temporarily closed to Jewish visitors on Wednesday at the order of Jerusalem District Commander Yoram Halevy after Jews broke visitation rules at the holy site, police said. The Jewish visitors were expelled from the compound for bringing sacred books to the Mount and trying to pray there. After one of the individuals was cautioned, another took out a holy book, and the group was expelled. Meanwhile, renewed clashes erupted between protesters and Israeli security forces near the Lion's Gate in the Old City, where police used stun grenades against the demonstrators. A regular dynamic has developed involving clashes between Palestinians and Israel Police over the past several days near the Lion's Gate. Dozens of Palestinians are present at the site on a regular basis, urging devotion to the Al-Aqsa Mosque on the Temple Mount and condemning Israel. During Muslim prayer times, particularly the midday and nighttime prayers, hundreds and sometimes even thousands have been gathering there.

There have been outbreaks of violence during these periods, including stone-throwing or physical confrontations with the police. In most of these incidents, the police have been using stun grenades and sponge-tipped bullets to disperse the crowds. In a number of cases, journalists in the area have also suffered violence at the hands of the police. On Tuesday, Hassan Shaalan, a reporter for the Ynet news website, was struck by a policeman even after he identified himself as a member of the press. A group of Jerusalem-based journalists released a statement of condemnation over the incident and called on the police to permit reporters to do their jobs. The Jerusalem Police responded: "This involved an incident that took place in the course of violent disturbances of the peace that occurred in Jerusalem while the police were acting to remove the demonstrators from the street after some of them refused to vacate. The forces working on the scene are under constant threat to their lives.

Boycott Israeli diamond