Injuries as IOF aggressively disbands anti-occupation marches

RAMALLAH, (PIC)– A Palestinian journalist and a number of protesters sustained injuries on Friday as the Israeli occupation forces (IOF) aggressively disbanded peaceful anti-settlement marches in the West Bank. The popular committee in Ni’lin village, in western Ramallah province, said the IOF violently attacked a march marking the eighth anniversary of the death of the Palestinian minor Youssef Ahmad Ameira, killed by the occupation troops in his 17’s of age, on August 4, 2008. The march was also staged in solidarity with prisoner Bilal al-Kayed, who has been on a hunger strike for the 53rd consecutive day in protest at being transferred to administrative detention after the end of his 15-year-sentence in Israeli jails. The IOF attacked the protesters with randomly-discharged waves of bullet fire and teargas canisters, resulting in several suffocation cases. Journalist Hassan Dabous sustained wounds after he was directly hit with a teargas grenade from a very close range. At the same time, dozens of Palestinian marchers choked on teargas unleashed by the IOF during a peaceful anti-settlement march staged in Kfar Qaddum village, to the east of Qalqilya. Coordinator for the popular resistance committee Murad Shteiwi said the IOF soldiers rolled into the village shortly before the launch of the march and showered the area with teargas canisters and live rounds, resulting in several injuries among the protesters. Earlier, at dawn time, the IOF stormed the village in several army jeeps and wreaked havoc on civilian homes in an attempt to quell anti-occupation activism in the area.

(Source / 05.08.2016)

Tags: #ICC4Israel

Video of the Week New Clashes Erupt Between Israeli Security Forces, Muslim Worshippers

Temple Mount temporarily closed to Jewish visitors after clashes with police

The Temple Mount was temporarily closed to Jewish visitors on Wednesday at the order of Jerusalem District Commander Yoram Halevy after Jews broke visitation rules at the holy site, police said. The Jewish visitors were expelled from the compound for bringing sacred books to the Mount and trying to pray there. After one of the individuals was cautioned, another took out a holy book, and the group was expelled. Meanwhile, renewed clashes erupted between protesters and Israeli security forces near the Lion's Gate in the Old City, where police used stun grenades against the demonstrators. A regular dynamic has developed involving clashes between Palestinians and Israel Police over the past several days near the Lion's Gate. Dozens of Palestinians are present at the site on a regular basis, urging devotion to the Al-Aqsa Mosque on the Temple Mount and condemning Israel. During Muslim prayer times, particularly the midday and nighttime prayers, hundreds and sometimes even thousands have been gathering there.

There have been outbreaks of violence during these periods, including stone-throwing or physical confrontations with the police. In most of these incidents, the police have been using stun grenades and sponge-tipped bullets to disperse the crowds. In a number of cases, journalists in the area have also suffered violence at the hands of the police. On Tuesday, Hassan Shaalan, a reporter for the Ynet news website, was struck by a policeman even after he identified himself as a member of the press. A group of Jerusalem-based journalists released a statement of condemnation over the incident and called on the police to permit reporters to do their jobs. The Jerusalem Police responded: "This involved an incident that took place in the course of violent disturbances of the peace that occurred in Jerusalem while the police were acting to remove the demonstrators from the street after some of them refused to vacate. The forces working on the scene are under constant threat to their lives.

Boycott Israeli diamond