An Israeli border policeman who murdered a 16-year-old Palestinian teen on Nakba Day, four years ago, was sentenced to only nine months in prison, on Wednesday.
The Jerusalem District Court sentenced Israeli border policeman Ben Deri to nine months in prison, after being convicted of negligent homicide, upon killing Nadim Nuwara in Ramallah, four years ago.
Nuwara and another Palestinian teenager, Mohammad Abu Daher, 17, were deliberately shot dead during a protest commemorating the anniversary of the Nakba on May 15, 2014, in Beitunia town, near Ramallah. Neither one had posed any threat to Israeli forces in the area.
Under a plea deal, Deri was fined 50,000 shekels (approximately $14,000) in compensation for Nuwara’s death and would only serve seven months in prison, as the sentence includes time served.
Earlier this year, Ben Deri was cleared of the charge of manslaughter and convicted, instead, of negligent homicide. According to WAFA, he admitted to firing at Nuwara’s chest, but claimed he did not realize it was live ammunition, as opposed to a rubber-coated steel bullet.
Slamming the lenient verdict, Nuwara’s father, Siam, described the sentence as “ludicrous.”
He has called for an international probe into the killing of his son.
(Source / 25.04.2018)
Dozens of Israeli soldiers, including military engineering corps, invaded at dawn Tuesday, the northern West Bank city of Jenin, and wired the family home of a Palestinian detainee, before detonating and turning it into rubble, in addition to causing damage to surrounding homes.
Media sources in Jenin said the soldiers surrounded the area and forced the family of detainee Ahmad al-Qonba’ out of their home, before wiring and detonating the property.
The explosion destroyed the property and leveled it to the ground, in addition to causing damage to four surrounding homes.
The demolished home was 160 square/meters and provided shelter to eight Palestinians.
The family received the demolition order from the military on April 12th, informing him that the demolition of their home will be carried out on April 17th, for what the army called “participating in the killing of a settler near Nablus.”
They filed three appeals with the Israeli High Court, but the judges denied the appeals, basing the rulings on what the court called “insufficient documentation,” and because Ahmad was involved in “various security violations.”
Ahmad’s father. Jamal al-Qonba’, said the demolished property is owned by his disabled brother, and added that the family provided the army and the court with all legal documents.
The invasion and demolition led to clashes between the soldiers and local youngsters, who hurled stones at the soldiers.
Some fighters exchanged fire with the army and hurled pipe-bombs at the military vehicles, and the soldiers fired dozens of live rounds.
In addition, the army soldiers abducted nine Palestinians, mainly children, from their homes in various parts of occupied East Jerusalem. The army also injured several Palestinians near Qalqilia.
Furthermore, the soldiers abducted on Tuesday two Palestinian teenagers in the southern West Bank governorate of Hebron, and a young man in ‘Azzoun town, east of Qalqilia.
(Source / 25.04.2018)
Preparations necessary to move the US embassy on May 14 from Tel Aviv to Occupied Jerusalem have completed.
Among the preparations are road signs, as well as an access road for an embassy building being built behind the current US consulate.
According to the Hebrew media, the new embassy will be an interim embassy facility in the Arnona neighborhood of Jerusalem, partially converting what is currently used as a US consulate into a temporary embassy. It will house US Ambassador David Friedman’s office, and a small portion of the staff currently located at the embassy in Tel Aviv.
The Arnona compound will be expanded, with the addition of a new annex, likely by the end of 2019.
The Hebrew media also claimed that US president Donald Trump’s daughter Ivanka and son-in-law Jared Kushner would represent the administration at the Embassy’s opening ceremony.
(Source / 25.04.2018)
At least 39 Palestinians have been killed by Israeli forces since the beginning of ‘Great March of Return’ protests on 30 March
Relatives of Tahrir Said Wehbeh, 18, mourn during his funeral in Khan Younis
Two Palestinians wounded by Israeli gunfire have died since Sunday night in the Gaza Strip, the Hamas-controlled territory’s health ministry said.
Abdullah Shamali, 20, died overnight of “bullet wounds to his abdomen” suffered on Friday in Rafah, near the enclave’s border with Israel, a ministry spokesman said.
Shamali was one of five Palestinian demonstrators, including a 15-year-old, killed or fatally wounded in Gaza on Friday.
On Monday morning, the Gaza Ministry of Health said 18-year-old Tahrir Said Wehbeh from the southern city of Khan Younis died after having been shot in the head in the early days of the “Great March of Return”.
An hour later, the ministry announced that Mohammed Nimr al-Muqadima, 55, had been killed in the northern Gaza Strip, without elaborating on the circumstances surrounding his death.
Palestinian news agency Maan reported that Muqadima was killed and two other Palestinians wounded in an “accidental explosion” east of Beit Lahia, as Israeli military vehicles entered the nearby Gaza “buffer zone”.
The news agency later quoted Hamas as saying that Muqadima was a member of the group, and was killed after being hit by a shell.
An Israeli army spokesman told Middle East Eye they were not aware of the case.
The deaths bring to 40 those Palestinians killed since the start of “Great March of Return” protests on 30 March, 39 of which have been confirmed killed by Israeli army fire during demonstrations.
Tens of thousands of Palestinians in the coastal enclave, wedged between Israel, Egypt and the Mediterranean, have gathered at the border since 30 March as part of the march, calling for Palestinian refugees to be allowed to return to their former homes now inside Israel.
Israeli army forces have been stationed along the fence separating Gaza from Israel for the past three weeks, using tear gas, snipers firing live ammunition, tank shelling, and air strikes.
Palestinian demonstrators have burned tyres along the border and thrown stones and incendiary devices in the direction of Israeli troops.
The Israeli army says its forces only open fire in self-defence or to stop protestors attempting to breach the barrier separating the territory from Israel.
But more than 5,000 Palestinians have been wounded by Israeli forces since the beginning of the demonstrations, including 138 in critical condition, the Gaza Health Ministry said on Monday.
No Israeli casualties have been reported.
The planned six-week protest, which began on 30 March on Palestinian Land Day, is set to end on 15 May – the 70th anniversary of the Palestinian Nakba (Catastrophe), in which more than 700,000 Palestinians were forcibly displaced by Israeli forces during the 1948 Arab-Israeli war.
Israel has drawn harsh criticism from rights groups along with calls for investigations by the United Nations or the European Union.
Israel has for more than a decade imposed a crippling blockade on Gaza, fighting three wars with Islamist movement Hamas since 2008.
(Source / 23.04.2018)
There has been a sharp increase in the number of attacks by Jewish extremists against Palestinians in the West Bank this year, Haaretz Hebrew newspaper reported.
According to data from the Israeli Shin Bet intelligence service, number of Israeli settlers’ hate crimes in 2018 has already exceeded the total number in 2017, with attacks centered around the Nablus area.
The report referred to a surge in “price tag” incidents, characterized by acts of vandalism such as graffiti or vehicle defamation.
There have been 13 attacks of this kind since January 2018 compared to 8 the year before. Attacks defined as “at least as serious as arson” are also said to be overtaking those of last year.
In 2018, two attacks of this nature have occurred, whilst in 2017 the total reached five, according to the Shin Bet.
Only a few weeks ago, a mosque in the West Bank village of Aqraba close to Nablus was vandalized by Israeli settlers. The words “revenge” and “price tag” were sprayed onto the mosque walls in Hebrew. There were also reports of attackers throwing flammable materials and shouting racist slogans.
(Source / 23.04.2018)
Israel’s Defence Minister Avigdor Lieberman yesterday expressed his “absolute support” for the Israeli soldiers who have been shooting Palestinian protesters in the occupied Gaza Strip in recent weeks.
On Friday, Israeli snipers shot and killed four Palestinians (with a fifth succumbing to his wounds on Sunday night), including a 14-year-old child, Mohammad Ayoub.
Lieberman said that Israeli soldiers had done nothing wrong.
“I was there myself and saw how the soldiers were operating. The way our soldiers function inspires respect,” the defence minister stated, adding that “there is absolute support for IDF soldiers and every incident is investigated.”
Lieberman also blasted the European Union for calling for an investigation into Ayoub’s death, claiming that “Hamas heads” are “hiding behind women and children”.
Read: Thousands of Palestinians in Israel participate in March of Return
Ayoub was shot in the head some distance from the Gaza Strip perimeter fence, which marks the 1967 armistice lines between Israel and the occupied Palestinian territory.
The Israeli army has acknowledged that the minor was shot while merely approaching the fence.
Since 30 March, “Great Return of March” protests have been suppressed with live fire, causing dozens of fatalities and some 5,000 injuries, including more than 1,000 gunshot wounds.
(Source / 23.04.2018)
Ahed Al-Tamimi can be seen protesting during a demonstration against Israel’s treatment on Palestinian
Israeli lawmaker and deputy Knesset speaker Bezalel Smotrich said on Saturday that Palestinian child prisoner Ahed Tamimi should have been shot, reported Haaretz.
Responding to a tweet by Israeli journalist Yinon Magal, who wrote he was “so glad that Tamimi is still in jail”, the Jewish Home parliamentarian replied:
In my opinion, she should have gotten a bullet, at least in the kneecap. That would have put her under house arrest for the rest of her life.
Tamimi, from Nabi Saleh in the occupied West Bank, was arrested in a night raid last December, and ultimately convicted of, among other things, “assaulting” a soldier.
MK Michal Rozin (Meretz) responded angrily to Smotrich, tweeting: “You should be ashamed of yourself! Should the hilltop youth from Samaria [West Bank settlers] who threw stones at IDF soldiers last week also have been shot?” adding: “Oh, I forgot – the law is different for enemies…”.
Read: Video shows interrogation of Ahed Tamimi without a lawyer
(Source / 23.04.2018)
The news of attacks on places in Syria in retaliation of the so-called poison gas attack with sarin on innocent civilians has – if there is already attention for the Palestinians – the possible attention of Palestine and the continuous attacks of the regime from Tel Aviv on Palestinians repressed backwards.
On 13 April, the Palestinian Ministry of Health indicated that 363 Palestinians had been injured, at least 30 of which had been shot by life bullets and that at least 14 physicians suffered of the inhalation of tear gas.
The use of tear gas seems to be applied more often to the protesters, doctors and journalists in Palestine, in addition to the use of gas bombs.
A Palestinian legal committee on Friday said that the Israeli occupation forces are committing a war crime by killing the peaceful protesters taking part in Gaza’s Great March of Return.
The Legal Committee of the Higher National Committee of Return March and Breaking the Siege said in a press statement that the deliberate killing of peaceful protesters is a war crime under international humanitarian law. The Legal Committee warned of the consequences of the international community’s silence
The national Committee of the Great March of Return and Breaking the Siege announced that next Friday march will be held under the theme “Revolutionist Youth Friday” within the events of the Great March of Return along Gaza eastern border.
In a press conference on Friday evening, the committee said that hundreds of thousands of Palestinians participated in Friday of Prisoners and Martyrs on April 20.
At least four Palestinians were killed and hundreds of others were injured after Israeli occupation forces targeted the participants by live bullets and tear gas grenades along Gaza border, according to Health Ministry.
(Source / 21.04.2018)